Monday, May 23rd 2022 ( ago)
This RFC outlines the biggest update to Next.js since it was introduced in 2016:
- Nested Layouts: Build complex applications with nested routes.
- Designed for Server Components: Optimized for subtree navigation.
- Improved Data Fetching: Fetch in layouts while avoiding waterfalls.
- Using React 18 Features: Streaming, Transitions, and Suspense.
- Client and Server Routing: Server-centric routing with SPA-like behavior.
- 100% incrementally adoptable: No breaking changes so you can adopt gradually.
- Advanced Routing Conventions: Offscreen stashing, instant transitions, and more.